Ormskirk Railway or Bus Station, West Lancashire
'The Yellow Hammer walking route is a very good reason to get out and about in the Ormskirk area and discover the area's wonderful public rights of way network. Ormskirk is an historic market town in the heart of West Lancashire. The trail starts and finishes at Ormskirk railway station or bus station taking you through the historic town centre and out to the rolling countryside beyond, boasting stunning views of Lancashire and Merseyside.'
Cuddy Shaw Reach near Linton-on-Ouse, Hambleton
'Traces the River Ure from the point at which it joins the River Ouse, a few miles north of York, to its source 2,000 feet above sea level amongst the Pennine fells between Hawes and Kirkby Stephen ...'
The Yoredale Way: A 100 Mile Walk from York to Kirkby Stephen by J K E Piggin (Yorkshire Footpath Trust, 1994) is out-of-print but should be available second-hand
Lendal Bridge, York (City)
'A circular walk around the outskirts of this historic city.'
Millennium Way Walk [City of York Council]
'The "Yorkshire Dales Celebration Way" is my own creation. This unique Long Distance Footpath is my tribute to this fantastic National Park. At approximately 130 miles long (depending on the various alternatives provided) it is designed to be walked in eight days. It conveniently fits it into a "one week holiday window" especially suitable to starting and finishing on a Saturday or Sunday.'
'Everyone has the right to access to the countryside in the Yorkshire National Park. Choose from our Miles without Stiles downloadable routes perfect for wheelchairs, pushchairs and a post-pub-lunch amble. You can also buy route cards at National Park Centres. To see where the routes can be found in the National Park have a look at the interactive map.'
Campbell & Penty Warehouse, Linton-on-Ouse, Hambleton
'From its humble source north-west of York, the Yorkshire Ouse winds its way gently through over 50 miles of fine countryside. It swallows up streams from picturesque dales and steadily swells until it unites with the River Trent to become the mighty Humber and sweeps into the North Sea.'
The Yorkshire Ouse Walk: From Source to the Sea - with Tales of the Riverbank by Ivan E. Broadhead (Meridian Books, 1999) is out-of-print but new or used copies should still be available.
Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield
'There are usually at least 60 sculptures in the landscape for you to see as well as special exhibitions and projects in the galleries and outdoors. Displays change throughout the year so call ahead if you plan to see something in particular.'
You will probably need four hours to 'explore the furthest reaches of the Estate and sculpture displays'.
Horton in Ribblesdale, Craven
Three Peaks Walk (Yorkshire) [LDWA]
Hessle, Kingston upon Hull
'For nearly 80 miles the Yorkshire Wolds Way wends through some of the most tranquil and gentle countryside in England. From the banks of the mighty Humber estuary, along wooded slopes and through serene dry valleys, the walk climbs gently onto the airy tops of the rolling hills where on a clear day "you can see forever". Descending from the northern escarpment the final section of the Way finishes on the dramatic headland of Filey Brigg.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings