Around and About, Rutland
'Our array of Walking for Health Groups offer a friendly, inclusive, vibrant atmosphere for all newcomers and regular walkers. They aim to get you out in the beautiful Rutland countryside, exercise your body, mind and soul while having a good old natter.'
'Circular routes of between 4 and 6 miles starting and finishing in the village of Braunston.'
'The Walk starts at the Village Hall, formerly the Village Institute, which was built in 1890 for the benefit of the parish on land given by the Earl of Gainsborough. Prior to this there had been an Institute and Reading Room in a cottage. It was for men only ...'
'The second in a series of parish walks and rides produced by Leicestershire County Council to commemorate the centenary of parish councils in 1994. It offers a day long stroll between Belton-in-Rutland and the County town Oakham.'
'Oakham, the county town of Rutland, is a classic English market town, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. It has a castle, market place, butter cross and stocks, a famous old school, all in close association with a magnificent parish church and arranged in a rectangular shape around which the town has grown ...'
Around and About, Rutland
'Rutland has an extensive Rights of Way network of over 270 paths totalling more than 200 miles ... As the "highway authority" for Rutland, the County Council is responsible for maintaining the public rights of way network and keeping each individual public footpath, bridleway and byway free from obstruction. As the "surveying authority" it is responsible for preparing and keeping up to date the legal record of these paths known as the Definitive Map and Statement.'
Around and About, Rutland
'These circular walks and cycle routes were developed as a part of the Rutland Heritage Trail. Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Rutland County Council, the Rutland Heritage Trail consists of six circular walks and cycle rides, celebrating the important historical events, people and places of Rutland.' Unfortunately, 'RutNet has now closed'.
The Horse and Jockey, St. Marys Road, Manton, Rutland
'An entertaining walk starting from the picturesque village of Manton, the route just touches Rutland Water - a large drinking water reservoir - then passes through Egleton, a typical Rutland village best known for its nature reserve.' Unfortunately this British Walking Federation Permanent Trail was 'Closed at the end of 2013' and it no longer seems directly accessible via the Rockingham Forest Walkers website. So I have replaced the Link with one to a Map of the Rutland Water Nature Reserve.
'Explore the peaceful countryside of Rutland on this delightful circular walk.'
The Rutland Round John Williams (Cordee, 2000)
Rutland Water Visitor Centre, Rutland
'This is a very enjoyable walk for experienced and intermediate walkers ... The shorter 17 mile route is a circular route around the reservoir. If you choose, you can take an optional route around the peninsula which makes the route up to 26 miles.'
'There are 20 identified sites numbered on the map. You will see 7 information boards along the route which you can follow using the paper map which is available in most outlets in Uppingham Town.'
This Trail was 'described as an exemplar by judges after securing three commendations and one category win in the Eastern Zone entries' in the Towns Alive National Awards 2014. Unfortunately, Action for Market Towns, which was organizing the Awards, 'shortly afterwards ceased trading after hitting cashflow problems'.
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings