'Aston Rowant Nature Reserve is located on the western escarpment of the Chiltern Hills in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The reserve is in several sections, mostly in the parishes of Aston Rowant and Lewknor in Oxfordshire, with smaller sections in the parish of Stokenchurch in Buckinghamshire ... Information leaflets are available at the site and there are some waymarked trails, including two easy access trails (Aston Rowant and Linky Down Walks for All).'
Aston Rowant NNR, South Oxfordshire [Oxford Conservation Volunteers]
'All the walks begin at St Andrew's Church South Stoke. They vary in length but in the main are circular (ring) walks. No special equipment is required, but stout walking shoes are recommended as well as liquid refreshment.'
'Goring Gap Health Walks are part of The Ramblers' Walking for Health Initiative (WfH) and one of the most successful fully independent WfH groups in the country. There are nearly 600 other groups all over the country with 10,000 trained leaders and over 75,000 participants currently. Since its official launch in 2000 over 1 Million walkers have walked under the scheme.'
'You can find, and print, maps of most of the routes we use on the Walk4life site on our Maps page. Each one is hyperlinked to the correct page.'
'Circular walk of about two miles starting from Stadhampton. It takes in the attractive parkland that was once part of the Dormer family estate.'
'This walk is perfect for those seeking a more challenging woodland walk away from the crowds and not phased by a few slopes! The walk starts from Christmas Common, a small village perched on top of the Chiltern hills, with a good pub to return to.'
'This is an unforgettable walk through hilly beechwoods and villages of Buckinghamshire and South Oxfordshire, easily accessible from London. It is perfect at any time because the beech trees change at every season sometimes with spectacular colours. The walk is easy to follow thanks to the white arrows painted on the trees. There are five good pubs en route ... '
'Starting from the easily accessible Thornhill Park & Ride, these walks are part of a former royal forest and will transport you to a countryside idyll of rural tranquillity, with short routes to attractive Shotover features ... Route 2 passes through countryside and the attractive stone village of Stanton St John and the grand Georgian Mansion of Woodperry House, built in 1728-31.'
'The St Birinus Pilgrimage takes place every year on the first Sunday in July. Hundreds of people from various Christian traditions assemble at Churn Knob, a hill 7 miles south-west of Dorchester where Birinus is said to have preached. From there the pilgrims walk cross-country to Dorchester Abbey for a packed and joyful united service in which local leaders of the Anglican, Catholic and Nonconformist churches take an active part.'
'A 2.5 miles walk of approximately 1.75 hours exploring the older areas of the town and the nature reserve.'
'Walks from Henley-on-Thames along the Thames Path National Trail with options to visit Hambleden village and then return to Henley via Aston. Great views of the Chiltern Hills and Thames Valley. Look out for wildlife such as red kites, buzzards and deer.'
'Why not try one of our walking trails or cycle rides? Choose from the following areas of interest for more information: Walks - Wallingford town centre; Walks - surrounding area; Wallingford Guided History walk.'
Link to map and extract taken from the Booklet A Guide to the Walks around Whitchurch-on-Thames , by Eric Hartley, published by The Whitchurch Society. Twelve walks are described in detail, together with interesting local information. All proceeds go to The Whitchurch Society.
Recently Added Listings
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- >>> ALL Listings