'With around 25,000 visits each day, this is the most popular free content web site for walking in Great Britain on the Internet. There are reports of all the walks covered with full statistics and all with complimentary pictures'
'Derbyshire is one of England's finest counties for walking offering variety above most. The county includes a substantial portion of the Peak District National Park and the southern extremity of the Pennine range of hills extends into the north of the county. The county also contains part of the National Forest, and borders on Greater Manchester to the northwest, West Yorkshire to the north, South Yorkshire to the northeast, Nottinghamshire to the east, Leicestershire to the southeast, Staffordshire to the west and southwest and Cheshire also to the west ... '
'Be prepared is a very sensible approach to life so I would not suggest anyone attempting this walk without careful planning but even with the top in cloud and a section of the path covered in snow it was impossible to get lost ...'
'The Beverley 20 is a walk in the East Riding of Yorkshire that runs between Beverley Minster and the Humber Bridge ... The paths themselves are also used by other longer routes. The section from the Humber Bridge to North Ferriby is used by the Yorkshire Wolds Way, High Hunsley Circuit and the Trans Pennine Trail. The Beverley 20 is the first stage of a four-part walk from The Humber Bridge to Filey, The East Riding Heritage Trail.'
'This walk is a lovely wander around the Pateley Bridge area. It is also a fascinating history lesson. The walk starts in the town and takes us to the lovely Fishpond Wood near Bewerley. We then head west over deep green meadows covered in swathes of buttercup and vetch. Eventually we arrive at the edge of Coldstones Quarry at Greenhow. Coldstones is a working quarry with accommodation for a viewing of modern quarrying techniques should you wish to visit. Our walk takes us past the quarry and round Bewerley Moor to visit old lead workings at the disused Cockhill and Providence Mines ...'
Bewerley Moor and The Coldstones Cut [Happy Hiker]
'A brilliant eastern Lake District walk with seven of Alfred Wainwright's Fells on the route. '
The Kentsmere Horseshoe [WalkLakes]
'This Circular Route around the Historic Castle town of Knaresborough takes in quiet lanes, river side paths and ancient rights of way as it circles the town. With less than 300 metres of climbing the route is achievable in one long day, or can be broken up into several small more leisurely sections, which can be accessed by short walks from Knaresborough Town Centre. While not marked on the OS map, route literature can be found in the Knaresborough and Harrogate Tourist Information Centre.'
The Long Mynd Hike (which in Welsh means Long Mountain) is a 50 mile competition hike open to anyone aged 18 or over which takes place over the first weekend of October every year. The hike follows a set figure-of-eight route over the rugged countryside of South Shropshire and the Welsh Marches, with about 8,000 feet (3,000 metres) of climbing and covering eight summits.'
'Explores the changing countryside in Northwest Notts. Not so long ago this was a walk to work but with time to heal it is becoming mature landscape with signs of man's intervention blending back to nature.'
'This fabulous and challenging walk is the distance of a marathon but it would be a travesty to run it like an athlete; much better to stroll and take in all the beauty on offer.'
'This route, which I first walked back in 1990, makes a circular tour of 21 miles mostly through Leicestershire around the Duke of Rutland's ancestral home, Belvoir Castle. The walk can start in any of the delightful villages along the way.'
Woolsthorpe and Belvoir Castle Walk [Grantham Canal Society]
'This walk came top of the list when I put an enquiry on a walking newsgroup asking for the best walk in the Peak District. With highlights including Gradbach, Hanging Stone, Lud's Church, Roaches and Hen Cloud it certainly justified the replies to my question as being the best single walk in the Peak District. It is a classic popular Peak District walk.'
The Roaches Walks [roachesman]
'The most spectacular Shropshire walk with fantastic woodland and views to rival those of many higher mountains.'
'Dedicated to the super walking areas of Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees. These three, along with Leeds (which is found in my Leeds and Harrogate section) form the boroughs of West Yorkshire. The county is rightly renowned for its industrial past but it is also a county of excellent walking opportunities ... Altogether the area boasts numerous heritage walks and trails. This site aims to create a comprehensive library of them. You are guaranteed excellent walking in West Yorkshire.'
'The "Yorkshire Dales Celebration Way" is my own creation. This unique Long Distance Footpath is my tribute to this fantastic National Park. At approximately 130 miles long (depending on the various alternatives provided) it is designed to be walked in eight days. It conveniently fits it into a "one week holiday window" especially suitable to starting and finishing on a Saturday or Sunday.'
Recently Added Listings
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- >>> ALL Listings