'Whilst Cambridgeshire is not classic walking territory, there are still some beuatiful walks to be had within the county. What the county lacks in high hills, it makes up for in wide, spanning vistas and beautiful villages. The south of the county has low, rolling hills that make for enjoyable walks, whilst the northern section enters the Fens, and the rivers can be followed for miles towards their eventual outfalls at the Wash, many miles away.' Some 70 Walks totalling over 1200 miles.
Full details with maps and photographs of 22 Walks ranging from 6.4 to 23.7 miles: 'This was a total of 372.1 miles in 22 walks (an average of 16.91 miles per walk)'.
'Norfolk is a low-lying county in East Anglia, and has a large coastline stretching from The Wash to the Suffolk border. Norwich is the largest settlement, and there are many other beautiful towns, such as Kings Lynn on the outfall of the Great Ouse. Although low-lying, there are some superb walks within the county, and the Peddar's Way and North Norfolk Coast Path national trail runs entirely in the county. The Broads National Park also lies partly with Norfolk, although part is shared with the neighbouring county of Suffolk.'
Detailed descriptions - with maps, elevations and many photographs - of some thirty Walks around and about Wiltshire: 'This was a total of 597 miles in 29 walks (an average of 20.58 miles per walk)'.
Aldeburgh Beach Car Park, Suffolk Coastal
Cambridge Railway Station, Cambridge (City)
'Walk between Cambridge and Kings Lynn following the Rivers Cam and Great Ouse. The main route mainly follows the western banks of the rivers, although there is an eastern alternative available between north of Cambridge and Ely. The route is mostly flat, with very little ascent or descent. '
Fen Rivers Way [Norfolk County Council]
'The Grand Union Canal runs for 147 miles from Paddington right into the heart of Birmingham. As it links the two biggest cities in Britain it was a major transport link before the coming of the railways, although nowadays it is almost exclusively used by pleasure craft.'
Martin Loach has produced a detailed photographic description of the route.
Cowes, Isle of Wight
'Exhilarating walk around the island's coastline. It can easily be done in four or five days of walking, although very fit people may choose to do it in as little as three.'
'Walk running from just east of Ipswich to Southwold on the Suffolk Coast. It is a varied walk, with large expanses of forestry, heathland and coastal walking.'
The Sandlings Walk [Griffmonsters Great Walks]
Spalding, South Holland
'This was a surprisingly enjoyable walk, the highlight of which was finding the remains of the abbey and the beautiful and intriguing three-way bridge at Crowland. It was a mixture of riverside footpath and road walking ... '
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings