AA Walks and Bike Rides
Osterley Park, Hounslow
'A look at the outstanding achievements of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, whose work led to improved transport ... The first section of the Grand Union Canal was opened in 1794. This walk passes two points of particular interest along it. The Hanwell Flight of six locks is an impressive 'staircase' that raises the canal 53ft (16m) in just over 600yds (549m). Three Bridges, although belonging to the railway age, also involves the canal. Here Brunel contrived a unique construction where rail, road and canal all cross each other.'
'The parkland estate of the Dukes of Northumberland, with an 18th-century prospect tower and two former monasteries.'
Walks & Trails [Northumberland Estates]
Earls Colne, Braintree
'A fairly challenging walk along a disused railway track, now a nature reserve, and through ancient woodland.'
Battle Abbey, Rother (Sussex)
'Take a walk into history and visit the field where two men famously fought each other for the English crown.'
'Take a walk to the heart of rural Oxfordshire, visiting the final resting place of Britain's most famous statesman.'
Trysull, South Staffordshire
'A splendid escarpment walk taking in a surprisingly successful South Staffordshire Vineyard.'
West Wycombe, Wycombe
'Visit the home of a famous British statesman on this scenic Chiltern walk ... Field, woodland and parkland paths, some roads, 5 stiles.'
Hughenden [National Trust]
Market Bosworth Country Park, Hinckley & Bosworth
'Visit Bosworth - one of England's most famous battlefield sites - via a country park and a canal tow path.'
Foxton Locks, Harborough
'A unique staircase of locks is the focus of this pleasant walk through the South Leicestershire countryside.'
Foxton Locks and Foxton Inclined Plane [The Grand Union Canal in England]
Hermitage, West Berkshire
'Explore dense woodland and pass the former home of a famous British novelist on this spectacular walk near Newbury.'
'A circular walk around Harrow on the Hill where Lord Byron and Anthony Trollope went to school.'
Polesworth, North Warwickshire
'This trip to Polesworth allows you to experience a fragment of monastic England and to see a beautiful, ancient abbey church and vicarage. These buildings date back to ad 827 and form part of a nunnery built by Egbert, who is often claimed to have been the first Saxon King of all England. His daughter Editha was the abbess.'
'You'll find Jacobite connections in an atmospheric old house and a moorland fairy well, on this walk.'
Mildenhall, Forest Heath
'The sight and sound of aircraft taking off and landing will be a constant backdrop to this walk in the shadow of Mildenhall airfield, the headquarters of the 3rd United States Air Force in Europe.'
Whitburn Coastal Park, South Tyneside
'Along the coast near South Shields, and inland to the Cleadon Hills ... The coast of Durham south of the Tyne was long renowned for its smugglers. The natural caves at the base of the cliffs of Marsden Bay provided hiding places for illicit activity ...'
Cookham, Windsor & Maidenhead
'A spectacular stretch of the Thames Path to Bourne End, returning by train.'
Morwenstow, West Cornwall
'A walk through Cornwall's most northerly parish, one time home of the eccentric Victorian parson-poet, Robert Stephen Hawker.'
Hawker's Hut Walk [National Trust]
Coalhouse Fort, East Tilbury, Thurrock
'A riverside walk from the home of the Bata Shoe Company, where boots were made for walking, to Tilbury Fort.'
Uffington White Horse, Vale of White Horse
'Discover the legends and magic of one of Britain's greatest antiquities on this spectacular downland walk.'
Wanstead Underground Station, Redbridge
'Through Wanstead Park, where Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, entertained Elizabeth I.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings