Helping People with Disabilities to Access the Countryside
'Open Country is a Harrogate-based organisation that seeks to enable anyone with any disability to access the countryside. We achieve this through a variety of countryside activities and the provision of information, training and advice. Fully accessible transport is provided and teams of trained volunteers are on hand to offer assistance as necessary.'
'The Harrogate district has an abundance of green space. A wide variety of parks, gardens and open spaces offer landscaped areas, floral beds, nature trails or green open space for relaxation or play ...'
'The brainchild of a group of keen volunteers who all live in the locality. Having literally walked up and down dale for many years, we felt it made sense to share the beauty of Nidderdale with other people who take pleasure in exploring on foot and so the idea of a walking festival was born ...'
Latest Dates 22-25 September 2016.
'Set in a valley and very much a part of the Yorkshire countryside, the garden has a wide variety of growing landscapes, from running and still water to woodland and wildflower meadows.'
'Links up three famous Yorkshire Abbeys (Fountains Abbey, Jervaulx Abbey and Bolton Priory) as well as visiting three Yorkshire castles (Ripley, Bolton and Middleham).' Book obtainable from Dales Court Press
'During the mid 18th century William Aislabie owned estates at Studley Royal, Laver Banks and Hackfall. He and other members of the Aislabie Family created a picturesque landscape to delight their guests and transported them by carriage and on horseback through this sublime countryside on byways and tracks ...'
'This walk is a lovely wander around the Pateley Bridge area. It is also a fascinating history lesson. The walk starts in the town and takes us to the lovely Fishpond Wood near Bewerley. We then head west over deep green meadows covered in swathes of buttercup and vetch. Eventually we arrive at the edge of Coldstones Quarry at Greenhow. Coldstones is a working quarry with accommodation for a viewing of modern quarrying techniques should you wish to visit. Our walk takes us past the quarry and round Bewerley Moor to visit old lead workings at the disused Cockhill and Providence Mines ...'
Bewerley Moor and The Coldstones Cut [Happy Hiker]
'From 1840 to 1845, Anne Brontë was employed as a governess to the Robinson family at Thorpe Green Hall. Her brother Branwell was also employed there for some of that time. The people and surroundings inspired literary work by both of them. Follow in their footsteps today, as you take the Brontë Trail.'
'This enjoyable trail around part of Dallowgill is illuminated with 22 mosaics depicting local scenes and flora and fauna which might be encountered along the route.'
'A superb 20 mile walk around the town of Harrogate following the waymarked Harrogate Ringway footpath.'
'This Circular Route around the Historic Castle town of Knaresborough takes in quiet lanes, river side paths and ancient rights of way as it circles the town. With less than 300 metres of climbing the route is achievable in one long day, or can be broken up into several small more leisurely sections, which can be accessed by short walks from Knaresborough Town Centre. While not marked on the OS map, route literature can be found in the Knaresborough and Harrogate Tourist Information Centre.'
'Circular walk from Pateley Bridge, this route takes you through the spectacular uplands around Scar House Reservoir to the rolling fields and river valleys along the River Nidd ... The whole route is shown on the OS Explorer 298 map. Harvey Maps has produced a waterproof map of the route.'
'Long distance circular walk starting in Ripon with 12 small circular walks en route.' Walk originally described by Les Taylor and copies of his 1996 booklet should still be available from Amazon via the Rotary Club of Ripon Rowels.
'To mark the Centenary of Rotary International in 2005, the two Rotary Clubs of Ripon, The Rotary Club of Ripon and The Rotary Club of Ripon Rowels, have produced The Ripon Sanctuary Markers, Sanctuary Way Walk that takes you along the ancient boundary of the Sanctuary Markers.'
'Follows the length of the River Swale in North Yorkshire from its confluence with the River Ure near Boroughbridge to its source at the head of Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.'
'This website and the route described is collaboration between the Walkers are Welcome towns of Boroughbridge, Richmond and Kirkby Stephen and is based on the original route.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings