Aims are 'to get people out into the surrounding countryside, to visit places of interest and to meet up with like-minded people. It is not just a Club for those who want to walk, but also caters for those who wish to visit some of the many interesting places there are in and around the area, including London and further afield'.
'Walking and cycling form the core of the outdoor programme, although Club Members often organise other exciting one day, weekend or full week holidays, involving activities like caving, canoeing, climbing, skiing and windsurfing. We attempt to put something back into the community by arranging conservation projects, a "wheelchair ramble" and support for the charity "Shelterbox".'
'Croydon Ramblers was founded in 1950, the first of Ramblers' local groups, and we are also one of the largest local groups in Surrey. Our main activity is our extensive walking programme of about thirty walks a month. We have walks on most days of the week and sometimes there is a choice to cater for Ramblers' abilities and experience.'
'Kenley Common is a 56 hectare (139 acre) public open space located in the London Borough of Croydon. It forms part of a larger area of open countryside, within the London Green belt, that links London with the wider countryside of Surrey.'
'We run programmes of led and self-guided short walks (1-4 miles) in local parks and open spaces. It's a great way to meet new people and become active.'
'If the Corporation of the City of London hadn’t bought the "Coulsdon Commons’"– Riddlesdown and its neighbouring "wastes" of Kenley Common, Coulsdon Common and Farthing Downs – for £7,000 in 1883 (nearly £1 million today), there’s little doubt what would have happened. All four high green open spaces would have been gobbled up in London’s inexorable southward expansion. As it was, the City of London dedicated the 350 acres of Coulsdon Commons, "fine, open, breezy downs, already largely used for purposes of recreation by the public, and now for all time secured for those purposes".'
'There are over 80 guided walks and events on offer throughout the year to help you discover and enjoy Croydon's parks and open spaces.'
'Walker Dunelm is Inside Croydon‘s non-resident rambler who has devised, and walked, a series of countryside ambles in and around the local area. To help you plan your local rambles, we have collated ... links to each of the walk articles.'
'The route description guides walkers from south (East Croydon) to north (the River Thames), but is easy to follow in either direction. We have included estimated walking times for each section.'
Wandle Trail [Rambling Man]
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings