Around and About, Huntingdonshire
Parks, Nature Reserves and Green Spaces around and about Huntingdon. There should also be access here to an extensive Huntingdonshire District Council Countryside Guide - but note that this is dated 2008.
Paxton Pits Nature Reserve, Huntingdonshire
'75 hectares of lakes, meadow, grassland, scrub and woodland next to the River Great Ouse where you can enjoy a wealth of wildlife all year round.'
'Informal walking group based in the village of Stilton, Cambridgeshire, UK. We meet for regular local walks every alternate Sunday, at 10.00 am at the village pump, and organise occasional expeditions to interesting places further afield. As you might have guessed, we don’t take ourselves too seriously – hence Stumblers, not Ramblers!'
Around and About, Huntingdonshire
'The Huntingdonshire Health Walks scheme is provided free as part of the national Walking for Health initiative. The scheme runs a range of regular walks across the district. You can enjoy the walk at your own pace, but with the added benefit of being in the company of other walkers and trained walk leaders.'
St Ives, Huntingdonshire
'This web site is dedicated to walks from and around our beautiful town of St Ives in Cambridgeshire. The land is flat, but with tall skies and wide horizons there's a fantastic feeling of open spaces.'
'Although quite a long walk it doesn't seem so, a stop in Godmanchester for a snack or lunch turning the route into two walks each of 4 miles.'
Houghton Mill, Huntingdonshire
'Head off through a watery landscape in search of lost mills on this 8 mile walk through the delightful landscape of the Ouse valley. Starting at Houghton, the last working mill on the Great Ouse, discover the sites of many of the lost historic mills in this part of Huntingdonshire.'
'An easy walk beside the Great Ouse river to the attractive village of Houghton and its restored water mill, returning through water meadows and a nature reserve.'
'Due to its position on the Great North Road, Huntingdon developed into a major coaching centre in the 16th and 17th centuries. The opening of the Great Northern line in 1850 meant that rail travel superceded travel by road, and this, coupled with the agricultural depression, led to a period of decline ...'
'Huntingdon played a significant role in the First World War. Many troops were stationed in Huntingdon, wounded soldiers were treated here and the Portholme Aerodrome Company contributed to the development of aviation. This map shows locations that would have been of importance during the war and places of remembrance for those who made the ultimate sacrifice'
St Ives, Huntingdonshire
'Although a longer walk, with a snack or meal at Houghton Mill cafe it seems much shorter. In addition it's a very peaceful walk with great variety and a lovely village. One of my favourites.'
The New Sun Inn, Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire
'A delightful walk starting from the quaint village of Kimbolton, best known for its castle which was the sad final home of King Henry VIII's first queen, Catherine of Aragon. This charming walk meanders across the exquisite Cambridgeshire countryside and passes through the castle parkland on the last leg.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings