'Albury has much to offer the visitor, but the surrounding countryside is also of special interest to walkers and to those on horseback. There are well marked bridle paths over the heaths and the footpaths, too, are well signposted.'
East Clandon, Guildford
'Spanning over 422 acres, and open 363 days a year, our parkland at Hatchlands is a wonderful spot to enjoy the great outdoors. Just 45 minutes outside Greater London and with great stuff to do every season, why not stop by and enjoy a breath of fresh air.'
'Pirbright is a great place for walkers, with its acres of commonland and rich network of footpaths, originally created to link farms to each other and to the church and centre of the village ... (A) pamphlet of nine local walks was commissioned by the Parish Council as an aid to residents and visitors wishing to explore our attractive village and the surrounding countryside.'
'Wisley is now a large and diverse garden covering 240 acres (971,000 m²). In addition to numerous formal and informal decorative gardens, several glasshouses and an extensive arboretum, it includes small scale "model gardens" which are intended to show visitors what they can achieve in their own gardens, and a trials field where new cultivars are assessed.'
Circular walk taking in Brookwood Cemetery: 'Also known as the <i>London Necropolis</i>, is a burial ground in Brookwood, Surrey, England. It is the largest cemetery in the United Kingdom and one of the largest in Europe.' [Wikipedia 4 December 2013]
'A flat walk from the village of Ripley. The route follows part of the River Wey Navigation, which was one of the earliest British rivers to be made fully navigable, and is now a popular waterway for recreational boating.' Unfortunately details of this Walk seem to have been removed from the Surrey CC Website (though you might still find a PDF of it via a Google search). So I have replaced the Link with a more generic one.
St Martha on the Hill, Guildford
'The 26 mile Founders Footpaths, originally devised by Tony Youngs, and first walked in April 1995 by members of the LDWA Surrey Group ... The route is used largely, but not completely, for the LDWA London Group's annual Founders Challenge which takes place in October.' Latest Date 8 October 2016.
Cornmarket Portico, Guildford
'This walk shows how easily the hustle and bustle of the town centre can be left behind. A few minutes walking are all that is required to reach the beautiful and tranquil riverside environment of the River Wey Valley. Allow 30 mins to an hour depending on walking speed. Parts of the route, especially the towpath, may be uneven in places and muddy in winter.'
Around and About, Guildford
'Guildford is rich in history. It has a fine collection of buildings covering Saxon, Medieval, Tudor, Georgian, Victorian and 20th Century architecture, making it an ideal place for a visit. Make the most of your visit with a guided walk around Guildford.'
' A unique and beautiful world of heath and forest in the heart of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty ... More than 90 years ago, Reggie Bray, Lord of the Manor of Shere, granted the public a "right to roam" with "open access for air and exercise" on the Hurtwood – one of the first estates in England to do so. This set a pioneering example of a landowner welcoming the public on to his land and finding a way of working with the public that would benefit both the land and the people.'
High Street, Guildford
'Until very recently, with little documentary evidence of its existence, the medieval Jews of Guildford would have merited little more than a footnote in a history of Anglo-Jewry. However, an exciting archaeological discovery in 1996 changed all that, when the remains of what’s believed to have been a 12th century synagogue were unearthed in the town.'
Millmead Lock, Guildford
'Walking route of some 36 miles from Guildford, Surrey to a junction with the South Downs Way above Amberley, West Sussex.'
The Wey Valley | River Wey and Godalming Navigations and Dapdune Wharf [National Trust] | Walk this Wey
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings