Around and About, Winchester
'Once a principal place of pilgrimage, routes from all over the south converge on the ancient city of Winchester. Best explored on foot, it is the ideal base from which to combine the highlights of city life with scenic walks in some of England's finest countryside.'
'The Millennium Trail links footpaths around the town with illustrated boards that give information on the history of Alresford, its inhabitants, wildlife and countryside setting. The walk is about one mile and is suitable for wheelchair users and pushchairs.'
Roy Gentry About Alresford
'Hambledon is a great area for walking as there is an extensive network of footpaths, mostly well-maintained and waymarked with yellow arrows on small disks provided by Hampshire County Council (bridleways have blue arrows). The Wayfarers Walk, a long distance path that goes right across Hampshire, goes through the village on its way from Soberton to Denmead.'
Around and About, Winchester
'These self-guided trails combine the wonderful landscapes and scenery of the valley with the discovery of some of the county’s most important churches. They exhibit a wide range of architectural styles: Saxon at Headbourne Worthy; Norman at Bishop’s Sutton, Easton and St Cross; Georgian at Avington; late Victorian at Itchen Stoke.'
Hinton Ampner, Winchester
'Follows the River Itchen from its source close to Hinton Ampner all the way to its mouth at Woolston, Southampton.'
'The Itchen Way and the guide book are promoted by the Eastleigh Group of the Ramblers Association who are largely responsible for the creation of the route. The route was amended in 2008 when a new guide was published written by Richard Kenchington who devised the original route.'
Winchester Tourist Information Centre, Winchester
'Follow the daily route Keats took during his stay in Winchester. Starting at Winchester Tourist Information Centre, enjoy a self-guided walk in the poet's footsteps from the city to St Cross, passing through the landscape which inspired his famous ode "To Autumn".'
'Stretches for 10 miles from Knowle to West Meon, along a disused railway line. It is open to walkers, cyclists and equestrians. Between 2014 and 2015 Hampshire County Council, in partnership with the South Downs National Park Authority, carried out improvement works to the Trail.'
Meon Valley Railway [Wikipedia]
Winchester Cathedral, Winchester
'Follow a medieval route from the shrine of St Swithun at Winchester Cathedral, weaving across the landscape by way of Bishop's Waltham and Southwick to Portsmouth in the footsteps of the Miquelots, pilgrims who made the long journey to worship St Michael in Normandy.'
'A beginner’s guide through a historical treasure-hunt in Compton and Shawford.'
Tom Threlfall, who relied upon much original research by the late Barrie Hazlitt and Compton & Shawford Parish Council
Winchester Cathedral, Winchester
'Runs between Winchester, the capital of Saxon England, and historic Farnham. Whilst not tracing the original route of the Pilgrim’s Way, as much of this is now the busy A31, St Swithun’s Way follows some of the county’s best countryside paths.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings