Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
'This is a delightful oak woodland to walk through – especially in spring and early summer when lots of migrating birds come to breed at the reserve. Birds you may see on the steep valley sides include flycatchers, redstarts and wood warblers. There are a wide variety of butterflies to spot too. In winter, redwings, fieldfares and winter finches are regular visitors. There's a fascinating nature trail here so the reserve is a good place for people of all ages to get closer to nature, although the footpaths are steep in places.'
Around and About, Staffordshire Moorlands
'The Horticulture Service manages 17 walks covering 108 miles of the Staffordshire Moorlands with dedicated walk leaflets. These can be downloaded...'
Froghall Wharf, Staffordshire Moorlands
'This geotrail is designed to give the visitor a glimpse of the rocks, minerals, fossils and industrial heritage of the area which is intimately linked to the local geology. The whole trail is 25km long, which is probably too long to be tackled all in one go. We strongly recommend that it should be completed in sections from the access points at Froghall Wharf, Oakamoor, Rambler's Retreat, Hawksmoor Nature Reserve and Highshutt. Alternative routes to make shorter circular walks are indicated in this guide ...'
Hulme End, Staffordshire Moorlands
'Provides easy access for all, mainly following the Manifold Track, a resurfaced section of the old Leek & Manifold Valley Light Railway line, between Hulme End and Waterhouses.'
Traveller's Rest Pub, Flash, Staffordshire Moorlands
'The Manifold Trail is often confused with the Manifold Way (Manifold Track) probably because there are so many other 'trails' in the Peak District - the Tissington Trail, the High Peak Trail, the Monsal Trail ... so everyone assumes that the Manifold Way is the Manifold Trail because it follows the trackbed of a former railway line ... '
Hulme End, Staffordshire Moorlands
'A footpath and cycle way in Staffordshire, England. Some 8 miles (13 km) in length, it runs from Hulme End ... in the north to Waterhouses ... in the south, mostly through the Manifold Valley and the valley of its only tributary, the River Hamps, following the route of the former Leek and Manifold Valley Light Railway, a 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) gauge line which closed in 1934 after a short life.'
Ilam, Staffordshire Moorlands
'This invitation to come on pilgrimage to Eyam comes from the church and people of Eyam because we would like to share our story and our village with you. That is why we have developed the Peak Pilgrimage – to help you have a wonderful experience of the Peak District National Park, then of Eyam, and also of God along the way ...'
Alton, Staffordshire Moorlands
'This circular walk between the villages of Alton and Denstone is as rich in history as it is in natural beauty. The walk follows the River Churnet and the routes of an old canal and railway to Denstone, before returning to Alton across the hilltops along the ancient Saltersford Lane.'
Gradbach, Staffordshire Moorlands
'This walk came top of the list when I put an enquiry on a walking newsgroup asking for the best walk in the Peak District. With highlights including Gradbach, Hanging Stone, Lud's Church, Roaches and Hen Cloud it certainly justified the replies to my question as being the best single walk in the Peak District. It is a classic popular Peak District walk.'
The Roaches Walks [roachesman]
Biddulph Moor, Staffordshire Moorlands
'OnTrent is working with partners throughout the Trent to bring about a Trent Valley Way stretching some 170 miles from its source near Stoke to the Humber. Already established for 84 miles through Nottinghamshire, it will be a long distance footpath and, where possible, multi-user way throughout the Trent Valley.' Wikipedia also usefully summarises the history to date.
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings