The Largest New Native Forest In England 'Heartwood Forest is located either side of the B651 between Sandridge and Wheathampstead Village and 2.5 miles north of St Albans City Centre in Hertfordshire. There are currently 12 different entrance points into the forest which are well linked to existing footpaths and bridleways.'
'Highfield Park Trust was created in 1996 following the closure of Hill End and Cell Barnes hospitals to provide a diverse rural park for the benefit of the local community. The park has many interesting features including parkland with many mature specimen trees, sports pitches, woodland, a Mediterranean Garden with two petanque courts, a maze, rose gardens, ponds and orchards, all accessible by a network of footpaths and cycle ways ...'
'We are a friendly group of people who enjoy exploring the beautiful countryside surrounding us, led by our own members over their favourite walks ...'
'Although the Abbey Flyer links two major population centres in South-West Hertfordshire, there are parts of the line that can still be described as truly rural, and when the sun is sunshine you may be pleasantly surprised just how nice this part of Hertfordshire can be!'
'For cyclists and walkers along the former railway line between St Albans and Hatfield. It is an important link in the local sustainable transport network and forms part of Route 61 of the National Cycle Network.'
'Former railway line that links Harpenden, Redbourn and Hemel Hempstead. It is approximately 8.5 miles long and suits both walkers and cyclers. The route forms part of route 57 of the National Cycle Network.'
'Although Samuel Ryder is best remembered as the founder of the Ryder Cup, he was also one of St.Albans' most notable citizens as a successful businessman, churchman and local politician ... This Trail seeks to give a short introduction to Samuel Ryder – the businessman, the churchman and the politician – also to the person that gave the world one of its greatest sporting events ... The Ryder Cup is a magnificent gold trophy made by Mappin & Webb, the famous London silversmiths. Commissioned and paid for by Samuel Ryder, he presented it to The Professional Golfers' Association of Great Britain to be used for an international competition between the USA and GB & Ireland.'
'Walks within reach of St Albans with photos that show you exactly which way to go.' Based on the book The Remarkable Trees of St Albans (Kate Bretherton, 2010): 'This publication tells the fascinating stories behind the wonderful trees of St Albans: how they came to be there, which are our favourites, and what we can do to ensure that future generations have trees as remarkable as the ones we inherited.'
'Explore the beautiful rolling countryside of the Ver Valley through a new series of eight circular walks and the linear trail ... a 17 mile (27km) linear walking route starting from the source of the River Ver at Kensworth Lynch, Bedfordshire and ending at the confluence with the River Colne in Bricket Wood, Hertfordshire.'
Ver Valley Walks [Hertfordshire Countryside Management Service]
'There are six countryside walks and one village centre trail taking you to numerous heritage sites in the parish of Wheathampstead.'
Recently Added Listings
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- >>> ALL Listings