'Bradfield village’s excellent location on the northwest fringes of the Peak District, with close proximity to long-distance trails and a superb variety of shorter walks around local villages, and spectacular reservoirs means that it has something special to offer walkers, whether visitors or local residents.'
'The Parish of Ecclesfield covers an area of about 22 square kilometres of north Sheffield and is one of the most highly populated Parishes in the North of England. It comprises much of Ecclesfield and all of Chapeltown, High Green and Grenoside.'
Sheffield Botanical Gardens, Sheffield
'Sheffield Botanical Gardens cover 19 acres and were first opened in 1836. Originally designed by Robert Marnock in the Gardenesque style, the site now has fifteen different garden areas featuring collections of plants from all over the world, including Mediterranean, Asian, American prairie-style, woodland and rock-and-water plantings. The National Collections of Weigela, Diervilla and Sarcococca are sited here.'
Around and About, Sheffield
'We are a membership organisation. We presently have about 130 members ... Originally the club was affiliated to the Countrywide Holidays Association, a national organisation operating walking holidays which was formed in the 1890s. This has now been wound up, but our Club decided to continue using the initials CHA.'
Around and About, Sheffield
'Do you enjoy walking but want to do this at a leisurely pace? Fed up with walking groups that want to beat the clock over the distance of the walk? Or maybe you are new to walking and fear that you won't be able to keep up with experienced walkers? Then come and join the Sheffield Shamblers Walking Group ... We organise midweek walks, Sunday walks and the occasional Saturday walk.'
Around and About, Sheffield
'Organises volunteer led walks for VIPs living in and around Sheffield ... This user led group offers VIPs the opportunity to go walking regularly, assisted by trained volunteer guides.'
Access to details of three dozen walks around and about Stocksbridge:  Eight Short Walks (less than 5 miles) - - - :  Twenty-three Medium Walks (5 - 9 miles) - - - :  Five Long Walks (10-15 miles).
Furnace Lane, Sheffield
'Lying in the floodplain of the River Rother, the nature reserve straddles the boundary between Sheffield and Rotherham ... The Trans-Pennine Trail, running along an edge of the site, allows easy access for cyclists and wheelchair users in good weather (it can get very muddy in wet weather).'
'This diverse landscape on the edge of the Peak District celebrates its natural, cultural and industrical heritage with grit and charm.'
J C Graves Woodland Discovery Centre, Sheffield
'There are over 15 kilometres of paths and bridleways, which offer some wonderful walks. These include an "Easy Going" trail suitable for the less able bodied and wheelchairs.'
Westfield Terrace, Sheffield
'Discover how Athens' Parthenon and Italian Renaissance palaces inspired Sheffield's architects. Find out why some of the city's most famous buildings have towering columns, two elephants and a man holding an asp. Meet Titans and water gods – one wearing a fish.You'll also visit Sheffield's lost telephone exchange, Victorian water and gas companies, hidden chapels, old schools and self-important banks.'
Manor Lodge, Sheffield
Victoria Quays, Sheffield
'In common with other waterways based on natural rivers, there is no consistent towpath along the length of the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation. However, you can walk between Sheffield Basin and Rotherham Lock, between Mexborough, Conisbrough, Sprotbrough and Doncaster ... Improvements to the towpath have created a canalside walking route from the city centre out to Meadowhall shopping centre. The Sheffield & Tinsley Canal found big-screen fame in 1997, appearing in the opening scenes of the comedy film The Full Monty.'
Sheffield & Tinsley Canal [Canal & River Trust]
Around and About, Sheffield
'The Sheffield LAF was formed in 2003 and has 14 members, who have been appointed for a maximum of 3 years each. The members represent the interests of landowners, land managers, conservation groups and users of public paths and open spaces. Vacancies sometimes exist for LAF members - contact us for further details. LAF meetings are generally held quarterly and are open to the public (although the public will generally not be able to speak).'
Sheffield City Boundary, A57, 7 miles West of Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield
'During February and March 2013 artist Bob Levene and artist / filmmaker Ian Nesbitt went on a walk following the Metropolitan District Boundary Line of Sheffield City. 65 miles and 75 hours over 9 days of walking down streams, over farmland, through industry and up the M1. Following a clearly defined "non-route" regularly meant scrambling up bracken, sinking into bogs, negotiating industrial complexes and generally being places with a complete lack of walking infrastructure ...'
Endcliffe Park, Sheffield
'Starts at Endcliffe Park and is approximately 14 miles long. It ascends from the park through the Porter Valley, climbing towards the moorland edge of Ringinglow ...' The Sheffield Round Walk Guide is obtainable by post and at various outlets in the City.
Upper Don Valley, Sheffield
'Stone to Steel is a project celebrating 10,000 years of human history in the Upper Don Valley. It is a partnership between the Steel Valley Project, South Yorkshire Forest Partnership and Sheffield City Council that covers an area of approximately ten square miles around the Don and Little Don river valleys up to the border of the Peak District and Barnsley. It encompasses the towns and villages of Stocksbridge, Deepcar, Wharncliffe Side, Oughtibridge, Bolsterstone, Midhopestones and Grenoside.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings