'Few places in Britain equal Durlston: The bare statistics merely hint at the amazing diversity of wildlife: 33 species of breeding butterfly, over 250 species of bird recorded, 500 wildflowers, 500 moths and thousands of other invertebrates. Durlston's special qualities stem from a combination of geography, geology, history and careful management which has created a mosaic of nationally important wildlife habitats: sea-cliffs, downs, ancient meadows, hedgerows, woodland, and dry-stone walls each with their characteristic plants and animals.'
'The beautiful Isle of Purbeck is a walker's paradise. From coast to country, the variety is unsurpassed ... Purbeck offers something for everyone and our walks have been designed to show as much of the area as possible. Some include a pub lunch in a typical Dorset village and others a ride home on the steam train ...' Held Mid September.
'Set within an enclosed 1,000 acre deer park the historic buildings and ancient woodlands of Lulworth Castle and are ideal place to explore. Pack a picnic and come and enjoy all Lulworth has to offer.'
Lulworth Castle & Park [Visit Dorset]
'We offer friendly weekend and mid-week easy to moderate grade walks of 4-9 miles in Purbeck and Dorset. Our walks programme is continuous throughout the year with the exception of a break over the Christmas period. We also have a Christmas lunch! ... Membership Subscription is £5.00 per year. Come and join us on some of our walks to find out what the group is like without any obligation at all. We hope you'll like us.'
'Links the Dorset Coast Path, the final and most easterly section of the 572 mile South-West Coast Path, with the Solent Way running from Milford-on-Sea to Emworth. This creates a continuous 652 mile route from Minehead in Somerset to Emsworth on the Hampshire-Surrey border.'
'This walk starts and finishes by the church in Kingston. It is a spectacular walk with stunning views of the Purbeck Landscape.'
'Walk to Swanage and take a train back to Corfe Castle. A challenging hike through a dramatic landscape rich in history, on paths and tracks that have been used by feet and wheels for many thousands of years ...'
'Knoll House on the south coast of England enjoys a unique position on the Dorset coast with views over Studland Bay and its famous three mile beach ... One of Knoll House’s greatest assets - the varied, sometimes strange, beauty of the countryside that surrounds it - is the one least known to most guests. It is easily accessible to the walker, with a network of paths that provide easy going for explorers of all ages ...'
'Follows a route near Bovington along country lanes and through leafy woodland and heathland. This circular trail starts and finishes at Bovington's famous Tank Museum, taking in Lawrence of Arabia's home at Clouds Hill and his last resting place - the cemetery at Moreton.'
'Follow in the footsteps of a medieval priest as you walk along the ancient track known as the Priest's Way. It passes between quarries and across open fields with spectacular views along the way. The walk finishes near one of Dorset's most famous pubs, the Square & Compass.
'The Purbeck Plod was introduced in 1965 and ran yearly through to 2002. Our Group re-introduced the walk in 2008 adding the options of a 25 mile run and a 16 mile walk ... The challenge isn't just in the distance. There are a lot of climbs along the way. On the 25 mile route these add up to about 4,300 feet and on the 16 mile route, they add up to about 2,700 feet.' Challenge now usually held Late June/Early July.
'The route travels from Wareham to Corfe Castle, then eastwards to Ballard Down, then south and westwards along the South West Coast path to Chapman's Pool, then north to Corfe Castle.'
'Novelist E. M. Forster thought the Purbeck Hills were the best vantage point from which to survey England at its most beautiful. Corfe Common gives fine castle views and an insight into history, while nearby Hartland Moor is perfect for escaping the rat race in search of tranquility.'
Recently Added Listings
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- >>> ALL Listings