'Improve your fitness, get some fresh air, enjoy some beautiful scenery and make new friends! Our walking group are aged between 20 and 90 years old and you don’t need to have lots of experience with walking. The walks are a full day with a break for lunch so you do need to be able to walk approximately 6-7 miles.'
Around and About, Manchester
'Manchester and District Walkers (MAD Walkers) 20s and 30s group, a local group of the Ramblers Association for people who live in and around the Greater Manchester area.'
Around and About, Manchester
'If you live in or around Manchester and enjoy walking, whether it be gentle or strenuous, the Greater Manchester and High Peak Area of the Ramblers and its associated groups organise hundreds of walks throughout the year, so there is sure to be something for you.'
'Living history epitomises Ardwick, an area rich in architectural features and cultural heritage. Originally a small village and bounded by the River Medlock, Ardwick can trace its origins back to 1282. By the early 19th century, Ardwick was an elegant suburb and its Georgian splendour is still on show at Ardwick Green, alongside one of Manchester's oldest churches St Thomas's Church, built in 1741 ...'
Victoria Baths Neighbourhood Regeneration Project
Junction Rochdale Canal, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester
'A green link from the city centre to Ashton-under-Lyne, bordered by an interesting mix of modern and industrial architecture. Improvements to the towpath have made it into a pleasant route, accessible to walkers, cyclists and wheelchair users.'
Clayton Hall, Manchester
''Medlock Valley runs through the heart of East Manchester, running east to west through Clayton Vale, Philips Park, SportsCity, Holt Town, Medlock Outlook, Lower Medlock through the City Centre to join the Irwell at Castlefield.' [From the Website - albeit last updated in 2009 - which gives access to a wide variety of useful background information on the area.]
Medlock Valley Way [LDWA]
Chorlton cum Hardy, Manchester
'An off-road cycle path, pedestrian and horse riding route from Chorlton-cum-Hardy through Fallowfield and Levenshulme to Gorton and Fairfield in Manchester ... At 8 miles long the Fallowfield Loop is thought to be the longest urban cycleway in Britain.'
Chapel Street, Levenshulme, Manchester
'The City of Manchester has 138 parks, 31 of which have been awarded green flag status and a walking route has now been identified that links these green spaces. The Green Corridor is made up of 14 routes with each route averaging 4 miles.'
Around and About, Manchester
'For the most entertaining and best informed Manchester guided tours, join New Manchester Walks, Manchester's leading walks and talks outfit, bringing the 21st century city alive. We provide an unrivalled and unmatchable programme of historical trips and tours in and around Manchester – from the Gothic glories and cotton palaces of central Manchester to the gleaming new dock side towers of Salford Quays; from the coal face of industrial Eastlands to the winding alleyways of Knutsford in leafy Cheshire.'
Guided Walks and Tours of Manchester [Visit Manchester]
New Islington, Manchester
'For boaters, this Canal is a peaceful place to escape the crowds. The towpath is probably the easiest walking route through the Pennines, taking you into the heart of the hills at a relatively gentle gradient. However, there is also plenty of access to more challenging routes for serious hiking.'
Heaton Park, Manchester
The Thirlmere Pipeline 'was built by Manchester Corporation Water Works to relieve the problem of an ever growing need by industry and people in the Manchester area in the latter part of the 19th century. The Thirlmere Way 'broadly follows the path of the pipeline from sink to source, starting at Heaton Park, Manchester and ending, not surprisingly, at Thirlmere'.
The Thirlmere Way: Long Distance Walk from Manchester to the Lake District by Tim Cappelli (Sigma Press, 1992) [out-of-print]
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings