'Castle Hill Country Park, located on the north western fringe of the city, is one of Leicester's largest and more recent parks ... Established in the early 1980's the park comprises some 250 acres of grassland, plantation and broad leaved woodland. The A46, Leicester Western By Pass divides the park into two linear sections'.
'A beautiful green, welcoming and peaceful place. The mature trees, broad paths and memorials of the cemetery are complemented by the neat headstone rows in the lawn cemetery and the vibrant, aromatic roses in the Garden of Remembrance.'
Cemeteries [Leicester City Council]
'Each year we organise a variety of weekends away, ranging from hard mountain walking to city breaks, usually staying in youth hostels. In addition, we do day walks in the local area and a range of social events.'
'Meets approximately every two weeks. We aim to have two walks departing from the same place, a longer one of about 5 miles and a shorter one about 3 miles in length.'
'Using a map and an audio player, participants take an audio tour down the side streets of Leicester's past. Combining historical research, interviews with local people, original writing and a lush soundscape, the Cultural Quarter Audio Trail investigates the past, present and future of Leicester's blossoming cultural quarter.'
'Scenic walking and cycling route. Its path follows the line of the former Great Central Railway, which was once one of the most important main lines in Britain ... The Great Central Way forms part of Sustrans national cycle network route 6 that runs from Dover to Inverness. Within the city it is now a 4 mile tarmac path with very minor gradients and it provides a route for people to follow for commuting, exercise and those who have an interest in nature.'
Aylestone Meadows [Leicester City Council]
'The King Richard III audio tour visits five sites in the city with a strong connection to Richard III in the days leading up to the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. It then continues into the Leicestershire countryside to Bosworth and other locations linked to King Richard's reign.'
'Leicester has a history that is rich and diverse, but how do we begin to understand it? Our historic Churches can help us. They are important centres of interest, shedding a fascinating light on particular developments and events over the centuries. These Churches are here for you to visit them. Come as pilgrims, or come with an interest in religion, architecture, art or history.'
'Join one of our walking programmes for short, easy walks in Leicester. Every walker gets a free Get Walking pack, step counter and other goodies. All ages and abilities are welcome. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult on all our walks.' However: 'Funding ended in early 2016 and the project has been discontinued.'
'A twelve-mile long green corridor running through the city along the River Soar and the Grand Union Canal. It is regionally important for wildlife and comprises a network of open spaces, nature reserves and parks ...'
Recently Added Listings
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- >>> ALL Listings