Denby Dale, Kirklees
'The walking opportunites around here are excellent, so we hope you'll come and explore the area if you are not local! The leaflets include maps and provide details of local transport, places of interest, local history, etc. '
Denby Dale & Kirkburton, Kirklees
'On the edge of the Pennines, the Denby Dale and Kirkburton area offers rolling countryside with attractive stone-built villages connected by a network of footpaths and trails. Steeped in industrial history, traces of the past can be found at the heart of the villages: the imposing Denby Dale viaduct; the impressive Emley mast; old coaching inns; early churches and chapels; and traditional weaver’s cottages ...'
Around and About, Kirklees
'The Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees is a metropolitan borough of West Yorkshire, England. It has a population of 422,500 and includes the settlements of Batley, Birstall, Cleckheaton, Denby Dale, Dewsbury, Heckmondwike, Holmfirth, Huddersfield, Kirkburton, Marsden, Meltham, Mirfield and Slaithwaite. Huddersfield is the largest settlement of the district, and its centre of administration.'
Station Road, Marsden, Kirklees
'Take a walk on the wild side and explore an ecological paradise ... From self-led walks to guided tours there's something to please everyone at our special place.' (Note that this Website - as other NT Sites - is prone to restructuring, but you could try to raise the What's On section ...)
'Formed in the early months of 2013. Our aim is to promote the area as a special area for walkers, cyclists, runners, and all those who to come and enjoy highlighted routes and amenities the village has to offer.'
'A walk across Black Hill And Saddleworth Moors which visits some of the wettest bogs on the Pennines.'
Oakwell Hall, near Birstall, Kirklees
'Long distance footpath which starts at Oakwell Hall ("Fieldhead" in Charlotte Bronte's novel "Shirley") near Birstall in Kirklees near Bradford, and ends at Gawthorpe Hall in Padiham near Burnley in Lancashire's Pendle Witch Country. '
A complete description of the Brontë Way, including historical information and details of eleven circular walks along the main route can be found in The Brontë Way by Marje Wilson.
Eagle Intermedia's Bronte Country
Report of a walk of 'thirteen miles of fascinating wayfaring in the beautiful South Pennine countryside of Kirklees, West Yorkshire. A walk full of history by moor and mill, clough and canal, weaver's cottage and ancient hamlet'.
Colne Valley Circular Walk [GPS Cycle & Walking Routes]
'Members of the Milestone Society are leading a group of local community organisations in establishing the "Crossing the Pennines" Heritage Trail in the scenic valley of the River Colne in Yorkshire. Our trail showcases the travel and transport history that shaped the West Riding ...'
'The River Dearne is a river in South Yorkshire, England. It flows roughly east for more than 30 kilometres (19 mi), from its source just inside West Yorkshire, through Denby Dale, Clayton West, Darton, Barnsley, Darfield, Wath upon Dearne, Bolton on Dearne, Adwick upon Dearne and Mexborough to its confluence with the River Don at Conisbrough ... The upper Dearne is followed by the Dearne Way, a footpath through the countryside from Dearne Head to Barnsley. The lower Dearne Valley is confusingly now also called Dearne Valley and is a regeneration area.'
'The actual Boundary Walk uses private land and is only used once every seven years with the kind permission of the landowners. It must not therefore be used at any other time. The Boundary Way described ... therefore used the nearest public rights of way to the boundary - on footpaths, lanes and, by necessity in places, on roads.'
Local history and heritage walks around and about Huddersfield.
Trails and Guided Walks [Discover Huddersfield]
'This walk is along well established paths to the south west of Huddersfield. Although some of it is close to an urban area, it retains a remarkably rural feel throughout and being close to the town it's well served by public transport.'
'Ten walks around the villages of Kirkburton Parish. You will be led by a historical character for each village. On each walk you will find a guidestoop, modelled on an old directional post, and depicting some feature of the village. Stop and rest here, and use the stoop to rest your flask of tea.'
Junction of Lodge Street and Commercial Road, Skelmanthorpe, Kirklees
'A fun day out exploring the beautiful countryside in and around the Skelmanthorpe and Deffer Wood area.'
'The route is a wonderful green corridor running through densely populated urban areas with long distance moor-land views, it passes a wildlife reserve and a rolling golf course.'
Spen Greenway [Spen Valley Civic Society]
Royds Park, Rawfolds, Kirklees
'Walking trail around Spen Valley West Yorkshire through countryside, parkland and urban roads. It was created by Cleckheaton & District Rotary Club in 2000 as a Millenium project.'
Spen Way Heritage Trail [GPS Cycle & Walking Routes]
Short family walks and 47 mile trail from Marsden to Ilkley which 'features six new poems by Simon Armitage, carved by Pip Hall into six atmospheric locations and whether you're a keen walker ready to tackle full day walks incorporating two or more stones in one go or just fancy a short family outing there's something for everyone'.
Golcar & Slaithwaite, Kirklees
'The former Colne Valley Society produced an excellent set of walk leaflets for the Colne Valley area. This was done about fifteen years ago and the leaflets now need updating. Our leaflets project involves walking the walks, updating the text and arranging for the leaflets to be re-printed. When we've finished, we'll have updated leaflets for six local walks, based on the original designs. These will be available widely in the local area.'
Crossing the Pennines Heritage Trail [The Milestone Society]
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings