'One of its aims is to promote Alston Moor as a destination for walkers for both visitors and local people by providing information on local walks, the area in general and the facilities available. It will also lead monthly walks and is actively involved in the North Pennines Walking Festival and with the Greg’s Hut Association, who maintain Greg’s Hut, an old lead-mining building high up on Cross Fell now a mountain bothy.'
Kirkby Stephen, Eden
'Kirkby Stephen nestles in a corner of Cumbria often missed by visitors to the county. The attractive and friendly market town sits on the upper reaches of the River Eden, before it winds its way through the Eden Valley towards the Solway Firth.'
Walking [Kirkby Stephen Town Council]
'The village of Shap sits high amongst wild and stunning scenery, surrounded by beautiful countryside ideal for both the gentle walker and the more ambitious explorer to discover.'
'The fells surrounding the Dale are not the highest or most famous, yet they deserve more of an accolade as the views are stunning ... This Walk takes you to the top of the following hills: Little Hart Crag, High Hartsop Dodd, Hartsop Above How, Hart Crag, Gale Crag, and Dove Crag; and includes 5 Wainwrights, 3 Hewitts, 3 Nuttalls, 6 Birketts, and 1 sub Dewey.'
The Thrang, Mallerstang Valley, Eden
'A series of ten contemporary stone sculptures located at intervals along the length of the river Eden between its source above the Mallerstang valley and Rockliffe, north of Carlisle, where it runs into the Solway Firth.' For the start: 'Park in a lay-by near The Thrang, in the Mallerstang valley and walk up the steep track signposted "Lady Anne’s Way". Water Cut is visible on the horizon 2 km away. (Map reference SD 786 985) A longer circular walk is available, continuing along Lady Anne’s Way to Hell Gill Bridge, following a public path down to Hellgill force and then north, via Hanging Lund and Elmgill where a short section of road brings you back to the Thrang'.
Around and About, Eden
'We launched the Eden Valley Loops in summer 2010, following years of development by local volunteers and riding groups. The Loops are 135 km of routes designed for horse riders, off road cyclists and walkers based in Cumbria.'
British Horse Society Equine Mapping and Geographical Information Network
Walking in Eden: Circular and Linear Routes in the Eden Valley Ron Scholes (Sigma Press, 2014)
Near Kirkby Stephen, Eden
'The three historic listed viaducts owned by the Trust were constructed for the South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway for its opening in 1861. After a working life of almost exactly 100 years they were abandoned by British Railways until acquired by the Trust, Smardale Gill in 1989, Podgill in 2000 and Merrygill a few years later. Smardale Gill, in particular, needed extensive restoraton in the early 1990s, the others less so. The Trust also owns a number of lesser structures along the course of the former railway.'
'This is a stunning walk that takes in some of the best scenery in Cumbria with overnights in Grasmere, Borrowdale and Thirlspot.'
Kirkby Stephen, Eden
'Long-distance walk from Kirkby Stephen to Settle through this picturesque and, in parts, demanding area of Cumbria and North Yorkshire - with a short diversion into Lancashire.'
'On the first Saturday of July every year The Patterdale Parish Parish Boundary Walk takes place ... This annual event is a lot of fun for those taking part and raises much needed funds for St Patrick's Church in Patterdale and the Patterdale Church of England Primary School ... There are 3 separate walks covering from 7 to 30 miles to encourage more people to take part.'
Source of River South Tyne, south of Garrigill, Eden
'Follows the route of the River South Tyne from the source to Haltwhistle. Open to walkers and cyclists it is almost 23 miles (36.5km) long and is a fantastic two-day experience in the North Pennines.'
South Tyne Trail [North Pennines AONB]
Kirkby Stephen, Eden
'The landscape speaks to us, if we just take the time to understand its language. Increasingly, it is telling us that our cultural affiliation with nature is in crisis. The wildlife dimension is being dissipated at an unprecedented rate and there is an urgent need for action to halt the destruction and restore wilderness eco systems before it is too late.'
'Borrowdale is blessed with an amazing range of mountain scenery. From the lofty heights and lonely moorland of the Skiddaw massif, to the gentle woodland on the banks of Derwentwater, through the craggy enclosing ridges of High Spy and the secretive side valley of Watendlath. Any walk through Borrowdale is a delight, but to immerse yourself on a three day expedition is an unforgettable experience.'
'6 walks with maps that start and finish in Threlkeld, so why not go for a walk around the village? ... The village of Threlkeld in Cumbria is situated in the Northern Lake District, 4 miles east of Keswick and 14 miles west of Penrith beneath Blencathra mountain.'
Pooley Bridge, Eden
'Walking route around Ullswater. The route can be walked in either direction and from any starting point. Why not walk the route in shorter sections, using an open top bus or steamer to start your journey!'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings