City of London
'The City Corporation has a special role and wide remit that goes beyond that of an ordinary local authority ... As well as supporting and promoting the City and providing local and policing services, we provide a range of valued services that benefit wider London and the nation ... We are also responsible for protecting and preserving around 11,000 acres of green space across London and beyond including Hampstead Heath, Epping Forest and Burnham Beeches. These spaces are highly valued by their local communities for the recreational and health benefits they offer, as well as educational and voluntary opportunities.'
'Explores nearly 2000 years of London's history, with gardens built around Roman remains and church ruins, the gardens of city livery companies, and those made in churchyards and on bombsites after WW2.
'This tree trail has been created in partnership between Trees for Cities & the [former] City of London Festival. It aims to provide a fascinating and fun guide to some of the most interesting trees and heritage sites the City has to offer, accessible to all visitors, workers and residents – young and old.'
'The City is an extraordinary beehive of construction, with tall buildings shooting up skywards at dizzying speed. The varied architecture of these buildings deserves intense admiration, as with a super-scale array of modern art. The surrounding plazas and walkways are also surprisingly traffic-free and a delight to traverse ...'
'One trail, hundreds of stories: from world-famous icons to hidden gems, see more of what the City has to offer.'
'This route has been designed to take you through the City and explore some of the latest developments in architecture. From start to finish the walk will take about 90 minutes at an average walking pace.'
'A walk through how and where global business works.'
'London has always been the center of Jewish life in this country and is the oldest place of Jewish settlement in England ... '
'The London Wall Walk, as it was originally planned in 1984, followed the original line of the City wall for much of its length, from the royal fortress of the Tower of London to the Museum of London. The walk consisted of a series of 23 panels that did not only pick out surviving remains but also pinpointed sites of importance to the history of the city wall and gates. The Walk is about 3.2km (2 miles) long and may take between one and two hours. Wheelchairs can reach most individual sites although access is difficult at some points ...' Note that the Link now given here replaces one to the Museum of London which is unreliable. However, if you search their Site for 'London Wall Walk' you might surface a copy of the PDF from which the description in this Entry is taken.
Janet Digby London Footprints
'Where can Games-goers in need of a few hours' escape find a decent walk in varied surroundings that's only a hop, skip and jump away from Olympic Park? Opting for the bustle of markets and the open atmosphere of London's waterways, we set off in search of breakfast at a market stall, a chat with the animals in the city farm and some quality idling by canal and river.'
'Discovering the gardens of the City of London is a rewarding experience for any inquisitive person but they need to be explored on foot if the joys of discovery and involvement are to be fully appreciated.' The Turn Up & Go Walks run each year from April to October.
Recently Added Listings
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- >>> ALL Listings