Across the UK
Directory arising from the Arts Council (England) funded research project "Thinking in Three Dimensions", completed in July 2008. Descriptions with Website Links of some seventy Trails - though no doubt some of the Links will need updating.
'From marathon to skydives, bake sales to gala dinners, we've got an event for you. By taking part in a fundraising event for the NSPCC, you'll be helping us to make sure that every child has a childhood they deserve.'
'OutDoors GPS makes it really easy to enjoy the great British countryside in confidence, so you can spend less time staring at maps and more time stretching your legs. There's no reason to ever get lost again. Simply create a route on Ordnance Survey maps ... and go' Access to over 30,000 routes already created over the last few years. App designed for iPhone and iPad.
'Welcome to our Routes Section where you can find the best hill and mountain walking routes and scrambles in Britain complete with a base map, photographs, a description and - in most cases - a GPX file which you can download to help you follow the walk using a GPS or smartphone ... ' However, I could not find the 'Routes' section when reviewing this Entry.
'Choose your location and walk for Parkinson's! We have a variety of UK walks you can take part in, from family friendly 2-mile walks to more challenging mountain treks, or why not organise a walk of your own?'
'Phototrails is here to help everyone discover and enjoy access to the countryside, tailored to their own needs and preferences. This website aims to help all lovers of the countryside to find locations where they can enjoy the enormous benefits of recreation in the great outdoors. Fieldfare staff and volunteers explore the length and breadth of the country to bring you an up-to-date guide to the accessibility of countryside sites and trails.'
'Here we have listed the best pubs in the UK, linked into short walks. You can be sure that the pubs are good ones with real ale and some amazing interiors. Some are many hundreds of years old with important and interesting histories. This site has been optimised for smartphones ...'
'Intended for anyone who loves walking in the countryside and wishes to find Accommodation, Restaurants, Pubs, Public Transport and other services. Initially for long-distance footpaths, we are extending Ramblefest to include short walks in the National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty ...'
'We created Ramblers Routes – an online library of high-quality walking routes – to give walkers the freedom to walk at their own leisure along safe, inspiring and interesting trails across Britain. Ramblers Routes are designed for walkers by Ramblers volunteers and a unique feature is that any route developed by one volunteer is then checked on the ground by another before it's given our stamp of approval.'
'The UK boasts some of the World’s very best scenery, picturesque villages, pleasant strolls and exhilarating treks. The Ramblers Worldwide Holidays programme of UK holidays and short breaks provides walking adventures from rugged hikes around the Orkney Islands to pleasant walks along the South Coast. From the easiest of ambles, to sightseeing strolls taking in our natural heritage and history, good day hikes in moorland and hill country to some of the most challenging guided mountain walks anywhere in the world, you'll find it here.'
'This is a collection of journals written by Colin and Mark, two brothers from Brum, as they wander across various bits of the UK. Now, if you are looking for a formal walking guide with lots of helpful directions and great information on tourist attractions you may be disappointed. On the other hand, if you want to have a more personal view of the aches and pains (and of course the fun) of a long distance hike then choose a journal from Our Diaries and enjoy the read! '
'Specialises in walking and outdoor leisure activity holidays based in the UK at some truly outstanding destinations including the English Lake District, Ribble Valley, Yorkshire Dales and Peak District. Each of our Guided and Private Group walking holidays and leisure breaks is fully guided by professional walking leaders, offering people who love the great outdoors an unforgettable, rich experience.'
My walk around the British coastline, in stages 'I started in Kings Lynn, on the Lincolnshire/Norfolk border, on April 18th 2010. I have been walking clockwise round the coast of mainland Britain, in stages, since then.'
'Across the country many organisations and local councils have produced websites and guides to their local public sculpture and monuments. We include some here; if you come across others that we haven't listed please let us know ...'
'We design self-guided walking holidays that enable the visitor to sample the countryside and the history of Britain. Our routes bring alive the descriptions of writers like William Wordsworth, Thomas Hardy, Boswell and Johnson. Visit places where Roman legions marched and fierce battles were fought. On every tour there is great historical interest as well as natural beauty ...'
'We work with land owners who, for a variety of reasons, want to pass on responsibility (and often liability) for the management of an area of land. Ahead of taking responsibility and "ownership" we will identify and secure appropriate long-term funding (often in perpetuity) and management regimes, ensuring that the site has a sustainable future as green open space and crucially that it delivers against our charitable objectives. We now have ownership or long term management responsibility for over 2,000 ha of land with more than 50 spaces across England and are currently working on taking our first sites in Scotland.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings